How to Prepare delicious Almond Milk
Almonds are an excellent source of protein, healthy fats and antioxidants and almond skins contain beneficial phenols, flavonoids and phenolic acids which are typically found in vegetables and fruit.
According to Dr Mercola, drinking almond milk may therefore seem like a smart choice, one that may offer you the health benefits of almonds in beverage form – but it’s not as healthy as it would appear, particularly if you buy commercial varieties.
What exactly is almond milk? It’s typically a combination of almonds, water, sweetener, thickener such as carrageenan, and, often, fortified nutrients such as vitamins A, E, and D.
The problem is that most almond milk contains hardly any almonds, mostly water, added sugars, and a smattering of vitamins for good measure. As Business Insider put it:
“If almond milk closely resembles any beverage, it’s a glass of water and a multivitamin.”
A Handful of Almonds in a Carton…
The amount of actual almonds in a half-gallon carton of almond milk is shocking: research suggests it’s just over a handful. In one analysis of the UK almond milk brand Alpro, almonds made up just 2 percent of the beverage, and the Almond Board of California noted that ingredients are pretty similar between UK and US almond milk brands.
If you’ve ever wondered how almond milk can be so low in calories – about 30 calories in a cup, compared to 160 calories in a serving of almonds – it’s because it’s mostly water… not almonds.
“Based on these numbers,” Business Insider reported, “to get the nutritional value of a handful of almonds, you’d have to drink not just a few cups of the almond milk but an entire carton of it.”
Benefits of almond milk
- one cup of almond milk contains 60 calories whilst the semi skimmed milk is 122 calories- This is ideal for weight management.
- There is no cholesterol, or saturated fat in almond milk, which promotes healthy heart.
- It is low in sodium and high in omega fatty acids
- although the calcium content is lower than cow’s milk, almond milk offer 30% of the recommended daily allowance of calcium and 25% of Vitamin D.
- It helps with promoting healthy skin as it contains 50% of the recommended daily allowance of vitamin E.
- Freshly made almond milk contains no sugar, and because of its low GI index, your body will be use stored fat for energy , helping with weight loss
- Almond milk is high in fibre which promotes healthy digestion
- Almond milk is Lactose free
- Almond milk also helps increase muscle power due to the presence if riboflavin which is a form of vitamin B and iron
- Almond milk is very easy to make
- Soak raw almonds for 3 hours- you can use blanched or with skin almonds
- Rinse the almonds after 3 hours with fresh water
- Use the juicing strainer ( orange colour) inside your kuvings juicer
- Feed almonds and water into the juicer, with a ration of 10% almonds – 90% water- you can increase the almond ratio if you prefer a stronger almond flavour.
- the pulp that is injecting from the juicer can be put through a second time through the juicer to extract more of the flavour
You can use coconut water instead of spring water which gives a sweeter taste to the almond milk
The almond paste can be used as well by adding some coconut or soya yoghurt, maple syrup and a pinch of cinnamon for a healthy protein snack.